TL;DR: Tinkerer; maker of things; webdev; crazy cat gentleman; serial enthusiast; Mozillian. He / him.
I don't like writing my own bio. So, I've been kicking around that too-clever thing above for the last decade or so. Seems like it's been a stable description, if you don't mind reading curly braces.
Tinkering with data & code is something I like much better than writing a bio. So, the rest of this page is a collection of my personal data exhaust and featured projects.
Project: Twitch Streaming
Lately, I've been thinking I should start trying to get out of my head more and share what I do via streaming on Twitch.
- 1 week agoGOTO HellHere's a spoopy little story I wrote. The gist of it comes from a dream. There's blood, murder, an unhealthy relationship, and a bit of existential angst.
- 1 week agoGenerating a Firefox static theme from a web pageFolks would like to export their themes from Firefox Color as standalone theme add-ons. These can be submitted to AMO and allow for further advanced tinkering not supported by the theme editor in Color. Up until today, I was thinking that we'd need to do this with server-side code like an AWS Lambda function. But, with more due diligence, I realized all the pieces exist to make this happen completely in the browser.
- 2 weeks agoInsultron2000 is here to serve!It was a rainy, chilly day this past Sunday. I had been meaning to work on Picodon. But I was feeling low enthusiasm for that project. So, I spun my Wheel of Side Projects. It landed on "ActivityPub insult bot"--a similar theme but it felt like something I could actually get working in a day. So, Insultron2000 was born!
- 2 weeks agoEmbracing stasis to get unstuckBy letting things I've made go static, I can shed encumbrances to try new things. And I want to try new things to see if I can remove limiters on my writing.
- 1 month agoWhen Yak Shaving is The PointI've been working on some side projects lately. I feel good about that. But, I usually don't finish them. I feel bad about that. I always feel bad about that. But, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself.
Glitch Projects (lmorchard)
Your very own basic web page, ready for you to customize.
This might someday be an ActivityPub node. (Picodon is also cheese.)
A spinning wheel of my prospective side projects
A spinning wheel of Oblique Strategies by Brian Eno & Peter Schmidt
A scrumptious project that does humane things
An unfinished game that runs in the browser
Using WebGL for 2D graphics is kind of fun
Playing with CSS animations to make a wheel of list items spin
Twitch chat bot teamed up with a web page to make fireworks
Base project for the git cloning
Project: Firefox Test Pilot
Project: Firefox Color
- 4 hours ago pushed 864f504 to lmorchard/insultbot (master): Start playing with pre-deploy build scripts
- 5 hours ago pushed 1f76513 to lmorchard/insultbot (master): Remove objects function and event
- 5 hours ago pushed a98654b to lmorchard/insultbot (master): Start moving objects out of a function to a static S3 website
- 9 hours ago commented on Issue #3862 in mozilla/testpilot: Upgrade seedrandom
- 13 hours ago pushed 3bff6d9 to mozilla/FirefoxColor (master): Tweaks for AMO submission (#523)
- 13 hours ago submitted Pull Request #523 to mozilla/FirefoxColor: Tweaks for AMO submission
- 13 hours ago commented on Issue #523 in mozilla/FirefoxColor: Tweaks for AMO submission
- 4 hours ago
Oh wait: i forgot /.well-known/host-meta and url templates - maybe i can hack webfinger into a static site after all!
- 5 hours agoretooted https://botsin.space/users/wikisext
sext: you enjoy your furby
- 5 hours ago
Not pictured: 2 minutes later, I shifted my elbow, their toes touched, and they both got up and ran off in different direction
- 5 hours ago
Current status: two cats have tucked their back feet under my arm and started purring
- 5 hours ago
So I'm warily circling this new Starlink: Battle for Atlas game on Nintendo Switch.
On one hand, I am a predictable sucker for games involving space ships.
On the other hand, this DLC-via-endless-collectable-toys thing feels scummy.
On yet another hand I've grown just for this toot, I am also a predictable sucker for space ship toys.
- 6 hours ago
@annika Aww, my condolences. I've never taken care of rats, but they seem like sweeties
- 6 hours ago
@Insultron2000 Hey, you.
Twitter (Les Orchard)
- 1 day agoRT @benjedwards: What is the origin of this mysterious Pink Commodore SX-64 sent to me by @feliciaday? (The answer involves @NolanBushnell…
- 1 day ago(also, this is the kind of thing that sucks me into engaging on Twitter, which is why I've been more scarce from Twitter lately)
- 1 day ago@dria Oh consarn it
- 1 day agoHow the hell is taking care of your family emasculating? https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1051707168490221568 …
- 4 days agoStream complete! Watch me get next to nothing done for 2 hours! There are cats, though. And also chiptunes. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/321726170 …
- 4 days agoFiring up the stream. Chiptunes and code. Guest starring an IBM Model M keyboard today for extra noise on mic! https://www.twitch.tv/lmorchard
- 4 days ago@jamessocol Heh, nice! It's kind of a no-brainer now, but seemed like a hard-sell back then :)
- 4 days agoGitHub - 0x27/catfacts: Cat Facts SMS Sending Tool using Twilio API.lmorchard starred 0x27/catfacts
- 4 days agoThe sound of SID: 35 years of chiptune's influence on electronic musicIt can be hard to write about the music of videogames while we are bathed in the projected glory of today’s high-definition, 4K, 60-frames-per-second photorealistic graphics. via Pocket
- 1 week agoWhat's a senior engineer's job? - Julia Evansmost (all?) of the senior engineers I know take on a significant amount of helping-other-people work in addition to their individual programming work. The challenge I see me/my coworkers struggling with today isn’t so much “what?? I have to TALK TO PEOPLE?? UNBELIEVABLE.” and more “wait, how do I balance all of this leadership work with my individual contributions / programming work in a way that’s sustainable for me? How much of what kind of work should I be doing?“
- 1 week agoThe Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack: HomeHome of the world's biggest collection of classic text mode fonts, system fonts and BIOS fonts from DOS-era IBM PCs and compatibles
- 1 week agoGitHub - lukeed/polka: A micro web server so fast, it'll make you dance!lmorchard starred lukeed/polka
- 1 week agoGitHub - mafintosh/base64-to-uint8array: Convert a base64 string to a Uint8Array in Node and the browserlmorchard starred mafintosh/base64-to-uint8array
- 2 weeks agoThe Facebook Hack Is an Internet-Wide Failure | WIREDOn Friday, Facebook announced that hackers had leveraged three separate bugs to collect 50 million users’ so-called access tokens, which are the equivalent of digital keys to a Facebook account. With those tokens, hackers can take full control of users’ Facebook accounts, but because of Single Sign-On, they can also access any other website that those 50 million users log into with Facebook.
- 2 weeks agoA tucked in baby sloth : aww
- 2 weeks agoT-shirt gatling gun : mechanical_gifs
- 2 weeks agoRemember When Blockbuster Video Tried Burning Game Cartridges On Demand? | HackadayMachines at these stores had the ability to flash 16 Mb and 32 Mb EEPROM cartridges containing Sega Genesis games. The flashing process only took 45 seconds on average
- 2 weeks agoNostalgia : WhitePeopleTwittersubmitted by /u/hootersbutwithcats to r/WhitePeopleTwitter [link] [comments]
- 2 weeks agoHow many words per minute is that? : Eyebleachsubmitted by /u/ImaginingDragon to r/Eyebleach [link] [comments]
Spotify (Les Orchard)
- "Ready, Able" on Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear1 day ago
- "The Youth" on Oracular Spectacular by MGMT1 day ago
- "The Choke" on Feel It Break by Austra1 day ago
- "Dead Disco" on Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? by Metric1 day ago
- "Second Summer - RAC Mix" on Second Summer by YACHT, RAC1 day ago
- "Dull Life" on It's Blitz! by Yeah Yeah Yeahs1 day ago
- "Luno" on Silent Alarm (U.S. Version) by Bloc Party1 day ago